Friday 27 August 2010

DragonMobility

Very quickly after Eilidh's diagnosis we came to realise how important her mobility and independence would be.  The realisation that she would require a powered chair did, in all honestly, take more getting used to than the thought of a self-propelled chair.  I think that I probably deemed her more dependent, more disabled even, by needing a powered chair and that, if I felt this way others surely would too.

I'm not really sure how I found my way to Dragonmobility, but am glad that I did...


Dragonmobility is a small, family run company set up by Dan and Lou based in Cambridge. Dan and Lou's daughter Ruth was diagnosed with SMA in 1981. Realising that Ruth would need to be independently mobile to live as normal a life as possible, the yellow peril was born - a powered chair which could amazingly move from floor to highchair height. Ruth was independent at the age of 22 months....

WOW!


pretty gobsmacking really, but totally inspirational...


We quickly arranged for a demonstration and Lou came to visit us on 19th August with a SnapDragon.  We already loved the idea of a Snappie and could imagine Eilidh whizzing around in her own chair, but it was a daunting thought too - she's 18 months at the moment and we probably won't get a chair until she's nearer to 2 - we have to apply for funding, fundraise and then order and wait...


but that's not what is daunting...
yes, the magnitude of finding funding is huge...
yes, the waiting will be difficult as we yearn to see Eilidh independently mobile for the first time...


what is daunting is this - seriously, can you imagine a 2 year old in charge of a 113kg powered chair which can speed along at speedy speeds - it's incomprehensible...

but the thought does make me smile too...
my crazy little girl, independently mobile, with Niamh standing on the chassis, tagging along for a free ride... whizzing round and round and round in circles...
and the obligatory "pimping" of the chair.. fairy wings perhaps?


in-com-pre-hen-si-ble!

Then there is the realisation that our Eilidh is going to be wheelchair dependent: I pray that seeing Eilidh in the chair, seeing the excitement as she gains her independence, will more than compensate for this sadness I feel right now... I have to hold on to that mad and mental image of my girls on the Snappie, enjoying life to the full; me standing watching, with D at my side, smiling a huge happy smile as we are a happily mobile family...

No comments:

Post a Comment